Suzi Amberson is from sunny Phoenix, Arizona. She worked in the Insurance industry for 24 years before discovering a passion for digital art. Once Suzi realized she was not following her intended path she took a huge leap of faith and left the Insurance business to pursue her enthusiasm for creating 3D art.
Suzi is a self-taught artist. She started out with Poser 6 in 2007. Her CG toolbox has expanded over the past few years and now includes Poser Pro 2012, Photoshop CS5 Extended, a Wacom Intuos 4 tablet, Marvelous Designer 2, Hexagon and Bryce as her tools of choice.
She entered her first official art contest in 2009 over on the Daz3D website. The challenge was to create an image in the spirit of the infamous fantasy artist, Frank Frazetta. The final judging was conducted by Frank Frazetta Jr. One of her entries took third place and fuelled her desire to pursue 3D art as she sought to add interest and depth to her spectacular body of work.
We interview her for Session 4 of the podcast which you can
The URL for Suzi’s gallery is http://kachinadoll.deviantart.com/
The original template of the Influence Map is a Photoshop template from fox-orion’s gallery at DeviantArt.
In the interview we cover:-
- How to generate new ideas for your artwork by creating an Influence Map
- The story of Suzi quitting her job to pursue a career in digital artwork.
- Marvelous Designer 2
- What is steampunk and what attracts Suzi to this art genre.
- Suzi walks us through her favourite steam punk pieces.
- Making the most of DeviantArt.
- Tips on getting lighting correct for a scene.
- Let me know what you thought about the Podcast!
- Create your Influence Map and reply to this post with a link to it. We’d love to see it!
- Visit Suzi’s gallery at DeviantArt and leave a message of support and feedback for her artwork!